Car Insurance is one of those things that people usually spend little time thinking about. Mainly because searching through various websites to find decent rates is daunting.
Once a person finds a policy rate with reasonable rates, they stop searching and immediately sign onto that policy. Once it is time to renew, they sign onto a new agreement without a second thought because they remember how time-consuming it was to originally find that policy.
High insurance rates are something that people have unfortunately made peace with because they assume that is just how things are. What makes matters worse is that there are people paying for high rates on policies that do not even cover their car against common damage.
Imagine paying a good chunk of your income every month to an insurance provider, and there is not even insurance coverage if your engine blows for some random reason. Now you are stuck coughing up another chunk of change to cover the repairs.
Now, wouldn’t you feel like you wasted money paying for that insurance policy? I know for sure that I would. However, the good news is that the belief that you have to settle for mediocre insurance policies with crappy coverage is a myth.
Insurance companies want you to believe paying high rates is the only option, but it is not. There is a way to navigate car insurance to find the best coverage for yourself.
Deciding Which Coverage is Best Your Needs
Before you begin surfing the web to navigate your way to the best car insurance coverage, you have to first figure out what kind of coverage you need.
Here is a list of common coverage options so you can see which ones best fit your specific needs.
- Liability – Liability insurance covers damages for injuries and property damage if you are found to be the cause of an accident.
- Collision – Collision insurance covers damages to your car in the event of a car accident. It will also help repair or replace your vehicle.
- Comprehensive – Comprehensive coverage provides additional protection in the event of a car accident. It also covers your vehicle if it’s stolen or damaged in extreme weather.
- Medical payments – Medical payments coverage will help you pay for medical expenses that result from an accident. It provides cover no matter who is at fault.
- Personal injury – Personal injury insurance covers some medical expenses and loss of income if you are in an accident and cannot return to work right away.
Don’t Set Your Mind on One Company
As I mentioned earlier, too many people settle for poor insurance coverage because they set their minds on one company. Doing this is the opposite of the best way to find the best coverage because chances are that company may not be the best option for you.
The first step you should take is reaching out to local body shops, personal injury lawyers, or doctors to ask if they can recommend insurance providers that are good and which insurance providers you should stay away from.
These professionals have first-hand experience with insurance providers. They interact with those who have had various insurance types so they see just how well — or not well — insurance providers take care of their clients.
Most of these individuals will be willing to offer recommendations or point you in the direction of someone who can. Once you get the chance to inquire about the providers, here are some questions you can ask:
- Which insurance companies do you recommend?
- Which insurers have excellent customer care?
- Which are the cheapest?
- Which are the most expensive?
- Which companies should I avoid?
- Do any of these insurance providers offer discounts?
Discounts are one of many ways you can save money on your car insurance. So this is the golden question out of the list. If you ignore the other questions, make sure you ask this one!
What should I do after those professionals give their recommendations?
Once you have recommendations from as many people as you can get them from, compare the list of recommended providers from each professional. Combine providers from the various lists into one big list sorted from most recommended to least recommended.
You can now begin inquiring about policy rates, coverage options, and any other lingering questions from the list.
Speak to the Local Representatives that Call You
I will be the first to admit that I hit decline immediately after receiving a call from a number that I do not recognize. If the call is important enough, they will leave a voicemail. If I accidentally answer, I will politely hang up.
Though receiving phone calls from various representatives from various companies can be the most annoying part of your day, it can also be beneficial to you.
It’s wise to take advantage when local insurance representatives reach out at the end of your current policy or when you are actively searching for a new provider because this is the golden opportunity to get under-market rates.
Local agents generally have what is called “insider knowledge” to the location and community. This gives them an advantage over larger competitors that are located farther away. Due to being more intune with the nature of the community, they can provide personalized service.
This can lead to better discounts, lower rates, specialized coverage, and better customer service. Working with a local agent can also provide peace of mind because if an accident were to occur, you would already be familiarized with your agent and others in that company.
Here are some other ways you can find the best car insurance coverage:
- Keep a good credit score – Credit plays a role in almost everything. Insurance providers do look into potential clients’ credit scores to see if they are responsible enough to keep up with the policy. If yours is not the best, there are ways that you can improve your credit score.
- Choose to have a higher deductible – Higher deductibles usually lower your monthly payments. Unfortunately, though, this may not be an option if you have a lien on your car with a loan provider because they require deductibles to be around 500 hundred dollars.
- Always ask about discounts – There are always discounts. Insurance providers give out discounts for just about anything. Having good grades, taking defensive driving classes, and being a veteran are a few reasons you could get a discount.
- Avoid buying an expensive car – This will more than likely increase your insurance rates. To make matters even better, try to save money for a car so you can purchase without an auto loan.
Research to Find the Best Coverage
Finding the best coverage for car insurance doesn’t have to be difficult. Navigating the car insurance industry by comparing companies and gathering recommendations can be beneficial when you are looking for new coverage.
Imani Francies writes and researches for the car insurance comparison site, CarInsurance101.com. She earned a Bachelor of Arts in Film and Media and specializes in various forms of media marketing.